Saturday, February 7, 2009

Incest Singalong

Inspired by my previous post (and the realization that I haven't done one of these for a while), here is a singalong devoted to lust and love between relatives. And let me tell ya something- it's actually pretty hard to find any good songs on the topic, once you sift out all of the parent-child abuse and subsequent revenge murder songs (you have no idea how common this theme actually is!).

1) "The Incest Song" from the KOMP Morning Show. Ah, your quite expected country song about "keeping it in the family".



2) "I'm My Own Grandpa" by Ray Stevens. Everybody's favorite funny song about the twisty intertwined branches of an incestuous family tree and a crazy conclusion.



3) Ah, good ol' "Oedipus Rex" by Tom Lehrer. Sure, Oedipus' tale isn't exactly heartwarming, because ripping out your eyeballs just doesn't make anybody think happy thoughts. And yet I still love this song. How can you not belt out "He LOVED his mother!"?



4) "Shame And Scandal", covered by Madness. Technically, this song isn't about true incest (just listen to the lyrics), but it certainly is about some familial confusion and lots of shame and scandal. Plus I want to groove to it.



5) "Incestuous Love" by Marc Almond. This is quite possibly the only song that speaks about parent-child adult consensual love in a positive (or at least neutral) way. It's very beautiful, actually.



6) "Sister Incest" by Sunset Sphere. This song is so dark and pretty and Gothic that I love it for the music alone, but the lyrics only add to it, creating a sort of decadent and magical world of shifting incestuous relationships, one you might find in, say, Ann Rice's "A Witching Hour".



7)"Can't Make Love" by Emmy Laybourne & Sam & the Music Of U.S. Bombs. The funniest and most lighthearted song on the list, I fell in love with it the moment I heard it. (Plus I love 'Helen' from "Superstar"). Not to mention that it's terribly catchy.

























8) "Mississippi Love Song" by Courtney Conaway. It's fun, nothing more, nothing less.



9) "He's Just Like My Brother", GiggleMaker2000's parody of Rhianna's "Don't Stop The Music". Technically, this is an odd one, since it's GiggleMaker2000's mocking of the way that Rhianna consistently calls Chris Brown "like a brother" but then engages in all sorts of sexual innuendo. So, no real incest. But at the same time, it's about people roleplaying incest fantasies. So I say it belongs. And, whoa, it's dirty!



10) "I F'd Your Mom" by The Steve and JJ Show. A very funny and crude Boy Band-esque take on, erm, motherfuckers. Certainly, few guys who trash talk with "I fucked your mom." intend to hear "Me too!" as a response. :)



So that's it. Maybe no robust anthems that you can belt out, but a good mix in all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is Courtney Conaway... searching my name on google sure is weird. Thanks for the love.