Thursday, October 16, 2008

Good TV Is On The Way

As a fairly avid watcher, I was kind of worried that TV was going to let me down in the future- what with "The Shield" being on its [amazingly suspenseful and deliciously dramatic] last season as I type, the "Flight Of The Conchords" second and probably last season not due out until at least next year and probably later, and with the new, hot, oft-touted shows being the like of "Kath and Kim" (aspiring, dumb socialites? really? that's original?). Plus living and watching TV with my new roommate has exposed me to just how unappealing most TV out there nowadays is- I'm slogging through "Greek" and "Gilmore Girls" and trying to be open-minded and not criticize the hell out of this crud.

But just when I start giving up hope, good news comes! Three new shows in the works have me superbly excited, even though it'll probably be a while before I get to see them:

1) "The Daily Show" has pretty much become a launching pad for greatness, with Stephen Colbert and Steve Carrell as the best examples. Now Samantha Bee and her co-star and hubby Jason Jones are going to be in a new sitcom! It looks like it's going to be some sort of spoof on reality cooking shows (probably a la "Hell's Kitchen" or something), which doesn't sound all that amazing, but I have high hopes that this comedy team can totally go the distance.

2) And, after Amy Sedaris (remember when I was naive enough to think "Bisexual Star Fucker" would be a weekly endeavor?) has teased me with little guest appearances in shows and bit parts in off-the-beaten-path movies, here she comes with a new show in the works! With Paul Dinello as part of her writing team (yes!) and David Letterman's company Worldwide Pants footing the bill, this supposedly six-year old idea with lots of room for improv has me almost drooling. Oh please, whatever network picks this up, do not be stupid like you were when you dropped "Strangers With Candy"!

3) The creator of that provocative lil' show "Swingtown" is teaming up with Sean Hayes (i.e. Jack from "Will and Grace") is going to make a new show on Showtime (another channel I don't have . . . grrr), but what's totally cool about it is that it'll tackle bisexuality! "Bi-Coastal" (a play on words, given the main character's sexuality and the fact that his lovers are on separate sides of the country, between which he commutes) might end up being another lame portrayal of bisexuals, but I have high hopes. At the very least, a recurring series with a main character gives a lot more opportunity for a deep, complex, and nuanced exploration that the little bits we get here and there otherwise.

So yeah, I'm excited. I'll still have my go-to shows for a while ("The Shield", "Psych" and "Monk" returning in January, a probably ridiculous yet somehow still addictive season of "Nip/Tuck" in store). Unless some erstwhile producer wants to pick up Willam Belli's "Tranny McGuyver", the new, hilarious short film of which has been making its way around the festival circuits and can be seen here for free (you just have to register!).

No comments: